Friday, May 25, 2012

From the journal of a recovering addict.

My mum took away my internet connection.
She hid it from me.
[As if anyone can 'hide' anything from me.]

Funny thing is, I don't miss it.
Good riddance, Tata photon. Your internet speeds were practically deathlike anyway.

And in all honesty, I've never felt this liberated since that moment after I finished writing the last Hindi exam that I would ever take, over an year ago.
Picture Andy crawling out of the filthy sewers of Shawshank and feeling the rain on his skin for the first time, in a long time. Yeah, THAT liberating.

What perplexes me is how in the world did I let social networking take over my life. I find myself incessantly checking Facebook for any update from hundreds of :friends: I hardly know, let alone care about, in the real world.
The things that people will post on there could make the IQ of an entire street drop by a dozen points. No wonder that website is few steps away from becoming the next Internet Rape Machine [The pioneer being Myspace.com.]
And yet, it had come to point where I HAD to know what everyone had for breakfast that morning, or where so-and-so vacationed, and what they ate there.

Morrissey sums it aptly in the lyric:
"In my life
Why do I give valuable time
To people who don't care if I live or die ?
...
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye ?"

All the Facebook friend bashing aside, I would :proudly: like to admit that I haven't opened the laptop in about a week. Which is awesome, considering the obscene amount of time I spend in front of it everyday.
And sure, I can easily access the Internet from my phone. But the speed is so, so slow that I've just stopped giving a damn anymore.

I'll take my leave now. The outside world beckons.



Sent from my iPhone

No comments: