Wednesday, May 2, 2012

#318: In which I talk about my trip to :Orange Pekoe Land:.

To be honest, most of my vacations with the family end up being remembered for all the wrong reasons, save for a few. There's always bickering, humiliation of some sort, flat tyres and sickness involved. Not to mention the dozens of other pissed-off, rude tourists who, like us, are looking for some kind of solace in their hotel rooms and bad food. The whole point of a 'vacation' is to escape from these things, not run into them everywhere we go.
I didn't expect anything to be different this time around. The last time I visited Ooty, I wasn't particularly pleased with the situation [Read: Extremely annoyed and whiny, thus making the whole vacation suck for everyone else]. My brother and I were down with a bad case of food poisoning, and the Flower Show was on, making the place more crowded than ever. Hated it with a vengeance.

This time, however, we didn't stay in the city; in fact we left it far, far behind, and went to stay in a lone cottage in the middle of a large tea estate, which was was bordered by a thick jungle where a [now dead] notorious criminal poacher dude with a thick telephone mustache used to live. 
It was all very cool, both literally and metaphorically. We had to bring our own provisions from the town, which well over 10 kilometers away. There were hardly any people around the area, but there were loads of animals. LOADS.

Tea Land, Jackfruit Land. Also leopard, monkey, bear, tiger, bison, elephant, hare, leech, cicada, boar, deer, sparrow etc. Land. Gets pretty creepy at night. There have been reports of big black bears coming up to our gate. And I swear to God I heard a THUMPTHUMPTHUMP on the roof.










Our only other neighbours, apart from the obvious smorgasbord of fauna, were a family of five; a man, his wife and three kids. It was right out of an Enid Blyton book, from the fact that they lived in a cottage near the forest, right down to the cow that visited their backyard every afternoon to feast on the begonias.

While the man explained the workings of landsharks to the elders in mia famiglia, I made friends with the youngest of his kids: a brilliant little 8 year old girl, named Faye. She introduced me to all her animal friends: A Rottweiler pup called Stone, A :mean: Persian cat named Percy, and five tiny chicklets chicks [One of which she named Joey, after the dude from Friends. Joey climbed on my shoulder and proceeded to shift base to the top of my head, making the other ones jealous. Ahahah.].
Faye's what Pocahontas probably would've been like when she was 8. She knows the whole area like the back of her hand, and if she wasn't riding her bike she was always bringing me things, some of which included: a flower that smelled like a mango, a berry that looked like an eyeball, a millipede and one pillbug rolled up into a ball. :]

Closed Pillbug!
Open Pillbug!
 I have oh-so-much to write/babble about, it's overwhelming! However, I think I'll put an end to this nonsensical post in just a bit. Blogging is a tiring task.

Bottom line: Kickass vacation was kickass.

No comments: