Saturday, February 18, 2012

Romance novels are not my cup of tea.

Whenever we go to Blossoms [you know, that brilliant little bookstore on Church st.], my mother spends a solid two hours or more in the Romance novels section there. And she almost always buys a dozen of them every single time. You'd think by now she'd have finished reading all of the 'Mills & Boons' they have stacked there, but no. She probably reads and rereads them all.

One day, I went over to the Romance section [which is brilliantly placed in the same aisle as the Erotica section, might I add] to browse. These are a few of the novels I found there:

I'm seeing a pattern here.






















Notice how many of those are about Italian millionaires, Spanish aristocrats, Greek tycoons et al. You just need an exotic, handsome, rich male character, an annoying, damsel-in-distress type Mary Sue female character, a present-day setting [say, an office or, a hospital], and you're all set to write your very own Mills & Boon novel and rake in the moolah.
Surprisingly, my mum agrees. She tells me that the novels in the pictures are the new M&Bs. "Cheap, trashy,  mass produced dime novels," she calls 'em.
Apparently she reads only the older ones. Haha.

Truth be told, I haven't read a single M&B yet. Partly because I think they're mushy and wouldn't be caught dead with one, but mostly because I probably would laughing too hard at the title to even read the book.

So, the fact remains that romance novels are not my cup of tea; but their titles sure are funny as hell.

No comments: